Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
08-15-2018, 09:59 AM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(08-15-2018 05:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 07:24 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Thanks for posting this, Steve. My staff and I worked with Mr. Schein over the period of a few years as he was researching and writing his book on John Surratt: The Lincoln Conspirator Who Got Away. He was a very careful and detail-oriented researcher and traveled to Italy from his home in Washington State to trace the escape of Surratt.

In the book Michael Shein writes:

"If Surratt had been in Washington, in all likelihood (Andrew) Johnson would have been dead by morning."

Does anyone have an opinion on this statement? Was John Surratt a potential killer? Or was he involved only in a potential kidnapping plot and (like Atzerodt) wanted no part of killing?

I would like to think that his mother and the Catholic faith had trained him properly. However, the Civil War turned many solid Christians into killing machines.

If rumors about his killing some Yankees during his underground work are true, then yes, he was capable. On the other hand, if he believed the plot was futile after a point, I think he would have stood up to Booth and said NO - just as Atzerodt attempted to do.

I also feel that his allegiance to his commanding officer, Gen. Edwin Lee, superseded his allegiance to Booth. That's why there is no doubt in my mind that young Surratt was in Elmira when the deed was done.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 08-15-2018 09:59 AM