Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
05-22-2018, 06:45 PM
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
Although I can't speak for Bullard's reputation (the only negative thing I've heard about him, in addition to the book thievery, was Carl Sandburg calling him a "fuddy duddy"), Barton was intensely disliked by several in the Lincoln community. Paul Angle had very few kind things to say about Barton privately, and after the Wilma Minor affair, had even less Positive things to say. Sandburg had little use for Barton. Even Ida Tarbell, who rarely had anything negative to say about anyone, acknowledged that Barton wasn't her favorite person, although she did so in a much kinder fashion that most. If you read what happened to Barton after his wife died regarding Wilma Minor, it would give you a much different picture of the good reverend.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern? - Rob Wick - 05-22-2018 06:45 PM