The Confederate Connection???
02-23-2018, 11:42 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection???
I am not trying to assign responsibility--- I'm just adding a bit of information that has been overlooked. (Someday we may know the whole story.)
There may have been a formal delegation of responsibility, or a casual "help me out". Who knows the full extent!
All that I can say is "that Benjamin had the opportunity, to run the government - while Davis was ill." In some cases, Benjamin began the "Order" with "The President has directed me to have you....."
But, knowing Benjamin, he may have managed to activate a personal Program.
I have found this in my jumble of notes. It is a small piece of Varina Davis' autobiography, "that Benjamin spent 12 hours each day at the her husbands bedside tirelessly shaping every important Confederate Strategy and tactic, yet Benjamin never spoke publicly or wrote about his role..." This I got from the "American Jewish Historical Society" web site.
When Davis signed off on a decision, Benjamin did not have to stick to the letter of his instructions. he could have done ANYTHING he pleased. Benjamin started every written Order with - "The President has directed me to have you ...." From then on it could be ANYTHING.
I will look at Kensey John Stewart's orders, given to him in this critical timeframe, and see if it is worded as I think it will be. ("the President has directed me to........".)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Confederate Connection??? - L Verge - 02-23-2018, 12:07 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - kerry - 02-23-2018, 09:12 PM
RE: The Confederate Connection??? - SSlater - 02-23-2018 11:42 PM