John Hay wrote the Bixby letter
10-25-2017, 05:27 PM
RE: John Hay wrote the Bixby letter
(10-25-2017 04:59 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  The times didn't claim the 1933 editorial the first, just among the first - speculation(s). And in the end I think we will like likely never evidently know the truth - whether there was a 1922 claim or whether the study will be published not until April. Both might provide considerable arguments or thoughts, yet I doubt actual proofs.

I agree that 100% proof will probably never emerge. Historians themselves differ. I have said this before; I apologize for repeating. John Hay wrote to William Chandler: "the letter of Mr. Lincoln to Mrs. Bixby is genuine." F. Lauriston Bullard used this as a major argument in his book. He felt this statement by Hay proved Lincoln wrote the letter. Dr. Mark Neely agreed with Bullard's analysis.

But we really do not know for certain what Hay meant by saying the letter was "genuine." (other than the letter to Mrs. Bixby did emanate from the White House)

I doubt we'll ever know 100% for certain whether Hay or Lincoln (or a combination of both) wrote the letter. I tend to disagree with Messrs. Bullard and Neely that Hay was saying Lincoln definitely wrote the letter when he (Hay) used the word "genuine."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Hay wrote the Bixby letter - RJNorton - 10-25-2017 05:27 PM