Lincoln speech on the Bible?
01-23-2017, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 03:44 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible?
Eva, just one minor quibble. RTL's comment that Herndon was making an a$$ of himself came about in 1866 after the Ann Rutledge lecture.

Anita, as far as I know, RTL never publicly commented on the religion lecture. Jason Emerson notes that he wanted John Nicolay to publish something refuting the lecture as if Nicolay had written it, although it would have been written by RTL himself. RTL was dissuaded from doing so. Emerson notes that the negative coverage that Herndon received helped to make RTL's decision not to proceed. Although I reject Emerson's characterization of Herndon as "nefarious" Emerson makes a valid point that RTL never publicly challenged any historian with whom he disagreed.

I have nothing to add to what little is known of RTL's religious beliefs. That he didn't wear it on his sleeve is no more proof that he was a skeptic then outward expressions of piety can be shown to be a sincere representation of one's particular view. In respect to reticence, Robert was clearly his father's son. However, I think that Emerson makes an interesting point when he writes "Such as assertion infuriated Robert Lincoln, not just because it was false but because disbelief in religion was anathema to society's religious standards of the time and a humiliation to the Lincoln legacy." (Giant in the Shadows, pg. 160). So, if I read Emerson correctly, RTL's objections weren't simply based on truthfulness, but because he might be tainted by the same brush Herndon was using and because it would harm his father's reputation. In some ways, I think that is evidence that Robert shared, at least in part, his father's own skepticism.

Someone lying to protect what they believe to be the reputation of someone else was surely not invented to protect Lincoln. It's gone on for time immemorial (and still goes on today). But given that the only biography of Herndon which attempted to explain his viewpoint and motivations was published 68 years ago, Michael Burlingame was right that a new biography is needed.

As for the term 'trustee" in this instance I think it's more of a lay leader position that wouldn't necessarily have any connection with the propagation of a religious viewpoint. More like a person being part of the bureaucratic arm of the organization.

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Rob Wick - 01-05-2017, 08:56 PM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Gene C - 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - ELCore - 01-07-2017, 11:38 AM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Anita - 01-09-2017, 12:23 AM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Anita - 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Gene C - 01-09-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Anita - 01-09-2017, 07:35 PM
RE: Lincoln speech on the Bible? - Anita - 01-21-2017, 11:55 PM