A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-16-2012, 06:35 PM
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
Thanks, Gene! I really appreciate it.

I, too want to second what Laurie and Linda have said. We have to look at people in the context of when and how they lived. These people lived in the Victorian era, so we have to assess them in like manner. Sure some things never change; but if a person has lived in a certain era, it's important to see how they were affected by what was around them; i.e. what went on at that particular time that influenced them - and that includes social mores as well. These folk were not simply thrown down or "beamed up"....they were raised in a particular era and followed certain standards as to how they were raised and with the people with whom they were raised and lived. Their parents were in all likelihood born and raised in the late Federal era - and that would have had an influence upon them as well. Like Laurie says - you can't assess 19th Century people through 21st Century eyes.... it just doesn't work....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-16-2012 06:35 PM