St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
01-16-2017, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2017 07:07 PM by Rick Smith.)
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
Laurie,

Harbin, Baden & Garland Smith's command were all in Newport just before and after the President's assassination. Harbin & Baden were at Austin Adams' Tavern. News travelled slowly, as you suggest, and they were waiting to hear through channels if the shooting had taken place. Once this word had been received, they would have been looking for Booth and anyone with him with a view to screening and extracting them. Harbin & Baden were an important part of this operation. Before Booth & Herold appeared at Newport, Harbin, Baden and "another man" had left, rowed across the river by James Owens {there is an article relating to this in the Courier}. Garland Smith & his command also headed across the river, their plans to find Booth being frustrated. I believe that in our book on Harbin, Bill & I have Harbin & Benjamin crossing paths in Florida before heading to Cuba and thence to England.

I agree with you; Harbin was a key figure in this business. He and Thomas Jones were serious professionals.

Rick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - Rick Smith - 01-16-2017 07:06 PM