Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos
08-09-2016, 05:39 AM
RE: Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos
(08-08-2016 06:34 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Re.: "There were several evening events at the White House which called for a lower neckline, and Mary wore gowns fitting the style."

Donna, what kind of events would have called for a lower neckline (how low?), and since when in history?

What do you think about her husband's alleged comment: "Whew, our cat has a long tale to-night…it is my opinion that if some of that tail were nearer the head, it would be a better style” - do you think he was ignorant about fashion, just kidding, or was he right and Mary too fashy?

Eva, IMO some authors seem to feel the low neckline was a real concern of his, but I am not sure. For example, Catherine Clinton writes:

"He once confided at a White House reception where Mary's penchant for floral headdress and plunging necklines was on display, that "my wife is as handsome as when she was a girl, and I, a poor nobody then, fell in love with her; and what is more, have never fallen out."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lloyd Ostendorf's Book of Mary Lincoln Photos - RJNorton - 08-09-2016 05:39 AM