When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
05-24-2016, 01:28 PM
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record?
Hi, Dennis!

Thanks for responding. You are right, there are some mysteries that will forever remain a mystery.

The points made in your response were noteworthy. I was thus prompted to dig a little deeper.

I decided to read the handwritten pages from the trial. I guess we can’t get any more original than that. And here is what I found.

On May 11, Mary Surratt applied to the Commission for Aiken and Clampitt to be her attorneys. They were accepted. On May 12, she challenged the jurisdiction of the Military Commission with Aiken and Clampitt, on the record, as her attorneys. No mention is made, in the handwritten record of May 12, of Reverdy Johnson.

However, on May 13, the handwritten record shows that Mary Surratt applied to the Commission to accept Reverdy Johnson as an attorney for her. The challenge by Gen. T. M. Harris ensued.

The Commission took a one-hour recess and at 2 o’clock p.m., the Commission resumed its session. At that time, Harris withdrew his objection. Later that afternoon, Johnson questioned Weichmann.

So at this point in time, I think I have to side with the original handwritten record and accept May 13 as the date Johnson was accepted at an attorney for Mary Surratt. Perhaps Pitman got dates mixed up.

Thanks.

Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: When was Reverdy Johnson Entered on the Record? - RobertLC - 05-24-2016 01:28 PM