Spring Speaking Schedule for Dave, Kate, and Jim
04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
RE: Spring Speaking Schedule for Dave, Kate, and Jim
(04-30-2016 06:55 PM)Thomas Kearney Wrote:  Some of us were tweeting about today's tour. Check it out:

https://twitter.com/Tek2012Tek

Thanks for posting the pictures, and I'm glad that the tour was a full-bus success. Between Mike, Dave, and Kate, there was enough knowledge on that bus to keep the Lincoln assassination field going for decades and beyond.

I was especially happy to see the interior photo of Belle Grove, which is now operated as a bed and breakfast-special events venue. The owners have invited the Surratt Booth Tours to stop there each time, but we have declined so far because our tours are already 12-hours long.

It's a great old house, and Madison was born in another house on the property. The tiny little village once known as Port Conway (opposite Port Royal on the Rappahannock) took its name from the Conway family. Madison's mother was a Conway. Unfortunately, there's nothing left of the village.

My first visit to Belle Grove was one of those wonderful times when you drive up a driveway just to take a peek and end up being invited for a full tour by the then-owner. Great story from about 35 years ago that I will tell sometime later
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Spring Speaking Schedule for Dave, Kate, and Jim - L Verge - 04-30-2016 07:34 PM