Sarah Slater's Second Husband
03-31-2016, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2016 10:48 PM by Susan Higginbotham.)
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband
No one's putting anyone's name on anyone else's stone or rewriting history. Find-A-Grave is simply a way of recording who is buried where, and their relationships with others. Many people find that information of value; if you don't, so be it. I see no point in whitewashing Sarah's second marriage from history just because the couple may not have stayed together, no more than I see the point of ignoring Sarah's first marriage, or Louis Weichmann's failed marriage, or any of the many other failed marriages in history. (Incidentally, Jacob doesn't have an individual stone; he's buried in a family plot.)

You can say "you," by the way, instead of "someone," if you're referring to me. I don't think our eras are that far divided for that courtesy to be common to both.

I have to say that I am at a complete loss as to how I have offended you. Both Sarah and Jacob are figures of historical interest; she for her role in the events of 1865, he for his role in New York political history. All of the information I have posted about them, including the fact of their marriage, is from public records. At no time have I implied, here or anywhere else, that they were buried together or misrepresented the inscriptions on Sarah's or anyone else's tombstone. (I have, however, noted, as you have yourself, that the birth year on Sarah's tombstone is incorrect, so as not to mislead others into thinking that she was a child at the time of her first two marriages.) As I find it disheartening to have aspersions cast upon my integrity when I have simply tried to contribute to our body of knowledge about the mysterious Mrs. Slater, I will not be posting further about her on this forum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 02-12-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Susan Higginbotham - 03-31-2016 07:59 PM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Sarah Slater's Second Husband - Gene C - 04-02-2016, 05:46 PM