Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
10-30-2015, 05:45 AM,
#22
RE: Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann
(10-29-2015, 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote: I grew up in central Illinois believing that Lincoln loved Ann Rutledge

I grew up in northern Illinois believing the exact same thing.

(10-29-2015, 10:28 AM)davg2000 Wrote: I once asked Tom Schwartz what he thought. He said that he didn't believe that Lincoln had the time to pursue a deep relationship with Ann. Dr. Schwartz said that in 1834 and 35 Lincoln was too busy in the Illinois State Legislature, which met in Vandalia, a long way from New Salem.

Hi Dave. I hate to disagree with Tom Schwartz (he's an ex-student of mine), but my recollection (hopefully right) is that the meetings of the Illinois state legislature in Vandalia only lasted for about 3 months of the year. That leaves 9 months to pursue his relationship with Ann.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Grave of James Rutledge, father of Ann - by RJNorton - 10-30-2015, 05:45 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)