Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
10-27-2015, 05:11 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
As I read the Bible, the OT God is primarily angry and vengeful against mankind for the Fall, whereas the New Testament is all about the Atonement (Jesus Christ) and portrays a kind and merciful God who assures us that "I go to prepare a place for you [in heaven]."

Lincoln wanted to see his son Willie again so badly that he had him exhumed once or twice just so he could see his face. I'm wondering what hope and comfort Lincoln could have found in the Old Testament alone, if he turned to the Bible in his grief over the loss of his son.

Of all the miracles recorded in the NT, the resurrection from the dead of Lazarus (not to mention Jesus' own resurrection from the dead) ranked right at the top of the long list. Isn't that exactly the kind of comfort Lincoln was looking for...hope that he and Willie would some day, in some other world, see each other again? So what was it about the miracles in the New Testament that Lincoln found difficult or impossible to believe?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - My Name Is Kate - 10-27-2015 05:11 PM