Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
08-15-2015, 02:09 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
(08-15-2015 12:33 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Have you ever been to the Oyster Festival that is held every year in St. Mary's County, Maryland, Jim? It would be about an hour-and-a-half drive for you. They have shucking contests there that bring champion shuckers from all over and raw oysters as well as oysters cooked in all sorts of ways.

I'm waiting right now for November to come because Christ Episcopal Church in Accokeek, Maryland (about 20 minutes from Surratt House) has one of the best fried oyster and ham dinners around. Even the church itself is worth a visit - built in the 1700s and surrounded by a graceful old cemetery.
---------------
There is still a Hank's Oyster Bar at DuPont Circle and also one on Capitol Hill and in Old Town Alexandria. Somehow, though, I think these might be reincarnations in the name only. The story on the DuPont Circle one says it was started in 2005. And, when you go to their menu selections, there are lots more seafood items than oysters. BTW, one oyster on the half-shell there appears to cost $2.25. The last time I tried raw oysters, a plate of six cost that much!

Those sound like my kind of events. Laurie!

As far as Hank's, you are surely correct. At one time, they tried to suggest they had been in D.C. longer than any other restaurant, but someone must have scolded them. The name, maybe, but a different restaurant than the original.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - Jim Page - 08-15-2015 02:09 PM