Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
08-14-2015, 07:39 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
(08-14-2015 06:11 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Just to clarify - it's neither in the city nor the state of New York?! The last line of the menu reads "New York oysters fresh every day". I'm no expert on 19th century transportation of fresh oysters - how far could they make it till the fresh condition ceases? New Jersey?

(Maybe there is any other determining typical dish? Laurie...)

If we can assume that Mary was at this hotel after the Civil War, the fresh oysters wouldn't be a problem because of railroads and steamships and ice. A bigger clue to me would be the offering of soft shell crabs. They are generally only available at certain times of the year, and I think they don't take to being chilled or frozen very well (get mushy).

I would think this hotel is more northern or upper Midwest because New York oysters would have to compete with Maryland and Virginia oysters the farther one went south. Let's guess at Connecticut???

BTW: Maryland and Virginia used to have oyster wars. There have also been state disputes over crabs because of the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay servicing both states. Crabs breed in cooler waters and go to warmer waters for birthing/hatching. Virginia used to benefit in that respect, except that the State of Maryland owns all of the Potomac up to the Virginia shore. Virginians were actually poaching on Maryland property. The Bay is half-and-half.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - L Verge - 08-14-2015 07:39 PM