World War I -- Christmas Truce
01-06-2015, 06:26 PM
RE: World War I -- Christmas Truce
(01-06-2015 03:16 PM)PaigeBooth Wrote:  This 2014 Christmas season marked the 100 year anniversary of the famous Christmas truce of World War I.

The Christmas truce occurred between British and German troops fighting along the western front in France. The Christmas truce took place on December 24 and 25 of 1914. (the first year of World War I)

A dusting of snow covered the battlefields of the western front on Christmas Eve, 1914, and many soldiers hung paper lanterns along the lines and even decorated Christmas trees. Then (as many of us know) a familiar sound rose from the battle line; the soldiers were singing Silent Night. German and British voices began to blend. Soon, Germans in pointed caps and British in khaki-colored berets came together in No Man's Land and shook hands. On Christmas Day, the soldiers rejoiced, shared stories, gifts, and even played soccer.

At the end of the day, the soldiers realized they must return to fighting or face charges. Please enjoy this commercial I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWF2JBb1bvM

I found this reenactment to be quite touching and wanted to share it.

Thank you for sharing this, Paige. If only we could achieve this type of brotherhood again. In this modern world of machine warfare, however, we manage to kill people without ever seeing the enemy.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: World War I -- Christmas Truce - L Verge - 01-06-2015 06:26 PM
RE: World War I -- Christmas Truce - Anita - 12-14-2015, 08:15 PM