Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary
12-18-2014, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2014 02:15 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary
Quote:You mentioned Annie Ward. She was teaching in D.C. and serving as a mail post for the Confederacy (John Surratt specifically) in 1865. Did she come here from Baltimore?

The "Annie Ward" I'm referring to is the African American maid whom Powell beat up at the Branson House in March of 1865. Different person entirely! I found her name in papers from the Adjutant's Office a few years ago and was totally shocked! Like you, Laurie, I thought of the name of Surratt's DC lady friend....

According to the papers, this particular Ms. Ward was subpoenaed for the trial, but never called. Written beside her name is the word "colored" in parentheses.

Quote:Even Louis Weichmann seemed rather taken with Atzerodt. At John Surratt's trial, Weichmann spontaneously described Atzerodt as "witty" and "funny," and in his book described him as "a man full of fun, country humor, and quaint stories."

Lew Powell also liked Atzerodt, and one contemporary newspaper article has him stating that "Atzerodt was innocent." Powell apparently did not have the same feelings about Herold whom he disdained as a "little blab."

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting Observations from James O'Beirne's Diary - BettyO - 12-18-2014 02:09 PM