Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination
Here is a coincidence that you may not have heard about:

Frank Stringfellow left Washington somewhere about April 1, 1865 and headed home. In his trek south he moved along the "Secret Line" through Maryland - Heading always toward Thomas Jones. He had met Jones on his way into Washington and knew that Jones would put him across the Potomac. Frank's trip wasn't smooth and easy - he had to hide out at times. Also, he spent some time in a lock-up, but he escaped and continued south. (Good Reading)

(This story is predicated on an article I wrote for the "Courrier" about 35 years ago - "Hold the Boat Tom". I don't have a copy, so I can't quote the minute details."

About this same time, Booth came to Washington to do his thing and afterward headed home, down the same :Secret Line", headed toward Thomas Jones.

Would you believe,Thomas Jones had both Booth and Stringfellow, on his hands at the same time?, and put them both across safely.

My sources included Stringfellow's book, "Stringfellow of the 4th", for the details of his escape, and the Logbooks of the Gunboats, to verify weather conditions. For example: When Davey Herold said they were on the river in the fog - the Logbooks said there was fog. and Stringfellow said FOG When Stringfellow said it rained - the Logbooks showed it was raining. Herold said there was RAIN. The Weather Bureau records of moon phases, compared favorably with the conditions expresses by both men. The moon was late rising , so Booth and Herold were on the river in the complete dark - they came "out of the Nanjemoy at sundown...." But they did have two Lightships to guide on. One at the mouth of the Nanjemoy (The Upper Cedar Point Light) and the other at the mouth of the Gambo (The Lower Cedar Point Light,) Gambo Creek is in Virginia, but The Lower Cedar Point is in Maryland. The entire Potomac is in Maryland, so the light was owned by Maryland. AMEN.

I'll bet that Laurie's gang could come up with the original story, if any one is interested.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Rhatkinson - 11-13-2014, 09:33 AM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - SSlater - 11-16-2014 06:16 PM
RE: Oddities of the Lincoln assassination - Hess1865 - 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM