Visitor's Passes to Prisoners
10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners
(10-11-2014 11:59 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  I had been trying to find a release date for Anna Surratt, and was able to determine that she was released either on May 31 or June 1.

Thanks for the information, Susan.

Since the records you were looking at were morning reports, it is probable that Anna Surratt was released during the day of May 31st with the release being noted on the morning report for June 1st. I have a hand written copy of the committal/transfer/release logs that was transcribed by James O. Hall. Copies of those are in the James O Hall Research Center.

I assume that you were already well aware that Nora Fitzpatrick was arrested with the household, released, and then rearrested a couple days later. That information is also in the records.

You motivated me to pick up and reread parts of Virginia Lomax's book. I can just see Mrs. Surratt, imprisoned at the Old Capitol, caring for Mrs. Baxley's son during his illness and death. She also was probably one of the "few of us" who "were permitted to be present" at his funeral services in the prison's "lumber room".
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - Dave Taylor - 10-11-2014 12:36 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - BettyO - 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - Gene C - 10-12-2014, 06:57 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - HerbS - 10-14-2014, 07:08 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - BettyO - 10-14-2014, 10:43 PM
RE: Visitor's Passes to Prisoners - HerbS - 10-15-2014, 06:04 AM