The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
09-11-2014, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 11:37 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head?
(09-10-2014 08:03 PM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  No pitcher has surfaced. Found in the box were Deringer, shirt collar, pine bar (in vestibule), hat. Other items, cane and bloodstained flag.
Thanks, Jim!

Thanks for the link, Kees. Interestingly the source given is "New York Herald, April 15, 1865".

There's another statement on p. 135 by a Mrs. Eldridge:
"I met her [L. K.]first in April, 1865, the week after the assassination of the lamented Lincoln., when she came to play an engagement at Wood’s Theatre, Cincinnati, where I was a member of the stock company.She then told me the entire story of the assassination, and how she went into the box at Ford’s Theatre, Washington, and held the head of the murdered president. She also gave me a piece of the dress she wore at the time. I cannot now find the scrap, as it is more than thirty years since that sad event took place." The (questionable) statement is well examined and commented here:
http://civilwar.gratzpa.org/2012/03/laur...incinnati/
Maybe it's what you referred to in post #5, Kees, there is more than one respective article on that site.

However, there are several statements claiming Laura Keene's presence in the box, only one disagreeing conradictioning one - Clara Harris'.

The question is - for what reasons could/would Clara Harris have lied?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The “rubber box” or did Laura Keene indeed held Lincoln’s head? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-11-2014 07:27 PM