|
RE: "Mary Falls"
Rick, you were right about steps but not the steps at the Petersen House. As Toia mentioned she nearly took a terrible fall aboard a ship. During Mary's journey back to the USA from her second trip to Europe aboard the steamer "L'Amerique", actress Sarah Bernardt saved Mary from falling headfirst down a stairway.
Here is what Sarah Bernhardt wrote about saving Mary:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"On the fourth day I dressed at seven o'clock and went on deck to have some fresh air. It was icy cold, and as I walked up and down I met a lady dressed in black with a sad resigned face. The sea looked gloomy and colourless, and there were no waves. Suddenly a wild billow dashed so violently against the ship that we were both thrown down. I immediately clutched hold of the leg of one of the benches, but the unfortunate lady was flung forward. Springing to my feet with a bound, I was just in time to seize hold of the skirt of her dress, and with the help of my maid and a sailor managed to prevent the poor woman from falling head first down the staircase. Very much hurt though she was, and a trifle confused, she thanked me in such a gentle dreamy voice that my heart began to beat with emotion.
"You might have been killed, Madame," I said, "down that horrible staircase."
"Yes," she answered, with a sigh of regret; "but it was not God's will."
"Are you not Madame Hessler?" she continued, looking earnestly at me.
"No, Madame," I answered; "my name is Sarah Bernhardt."
She stepped back and drawing herself up, her face very pale and her brows knitted, she said in a mournful voice, a voice that was scarcely audible, "I am the widow of President Lincoln."
I too stepped back, and a thrill of anguish ran through me, for I had just done this unhappy woman the only service that I ought not to have done her--I had saved her from death. Her husband had been assassinated by an actor, Booth, and it was an actress who had now prevented her from joining her beloved husband."
|