Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary
07-31-2014, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 12:01 AM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary
Hi Chris,

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply.

I completely understand why RTL took the drastic measures he did to protect the remains of his father. There had been a near successful attempt to steal his body. The coffin had been opened at least 17 times to "verify" the late president's identity. (There is also no doubt in my mind that the coffin would still be periodically opened up to our present day...to test dna etc)

But surely, there must have been a way of securing the poor man's remains without locking him away in a block of concrete, like some gangland mafioso! It just strikes me as so sad that AL, so lonely and isolated in life, reposes that way in death too...separated from the family who adored him.

As for Mary Todd Lincoln, I could not agree with you more. This woman has been so harshly dealt with by historians up to our present day that it makes my blood boil.Angry I have my ideas about why she has been treated so badly, but I won't go into them here. What I remember vividly from reading her letters, written after the assassination, is that the knowledge that her earthly remains would someday lie eternally at the side of her beloved husband was her greatest consolation. For a few years after her death that's exactly where they were. Knowing this as he must have, I cannot imagine why Robert would allow them to be separated.

I suppose in the final analysis it doesn't matter. It's not really AL that is in the block of concrete after all...it's only what remains of him on this Earth.

Chris, I want to congratulate you on your project and other work..it sounds fascinating and worthwhile!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary - Angela - 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM
RE: Abraham Lincoln Tomb Documentary - LincolnToddFan - 07-31-2014 11:51 PM