Mary Lincoln: non-feminist?
05-27-2014, 11:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014, 11:53 AM by Gene C.)
#3
RE: Mary Lincoln: non-feminist?
IMO, freedom for the slaves and the divided country was a more pressing issue than women'sufferage. I agree she was unprepared for the criticism she was in for.

From reading Ruth Painter Randall's book, I get the impression that Mary followed Abraham's views on abolition and was probably in favor of it before him. She may not have seen the political consequences of supporting the uncompromising postions taken by most abolitionist prior to the war. Lincoln seenmed to be focussed on preserving the union as his priority, freedom for the slaves was secondary. RPR indicated Mary enjoyed meeting abolitionist (incl women) at the White House and was very respectful toward them.

Haven't read Jean Baker's book, haven't read alot about Mary, but at this point, I'm not in agreement with some of Ms. Bakers statements. I would need to hear more.
I would be interested in her views about Herndon.
So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Mary Lincoln: non-feminist? - by RJNorton - 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: Mary Lincoln: non-feminist? - by HerbS - 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM
RE: Mary Lincoln: non-feminist? - by Gene C - 05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
RE: Mary Lincoln: non-feminist? - by L Verge - 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln: non-feminist? - by Anita - 07-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)