Since we've been talking about Mary Lincoln on another thread, I thought I'd post this song titled
"Live But One Moment" by J W Turner, written in 1865.
The cover of the sheet music says "Live!, exclaimed the wife of our lamented president as she stood bending o'er his dying form. Live but for one moment, to speak to me once more, to speak to our children"
I could find the sheet music, but not a site that had the tune. Maybe someone will have better luck finding it than I did and can post it.
Here are the lyrics:
Live but one moment, speak but once more!
Speak to the children, one word I implore!
breathe but one accent, To cheer this sad heart
Live but one moment E'er we must part!
Live but one moment! Dearest and best,
Tender companion In sadness oppressed;
Let me but hear again That voice so dear,
Live but one moment This heart to cheer
Live but one moment, O, 'twas too late!
Death like and silent The lips of the great
A fond wife stood weeping In anguish and pain,
For one loving accent to bless her again
Here is the link for the sheet music
http://www.loc.gov/resource/ihas.200002124#seq-1