Mosby's Men in Southern Maryland
08-09-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Mosby's Men in Southern Maryland
Thanks for posting Rick because I do think that the Mosby angle needs to be more fully explored in relation to the plots against Lincoln and the escape of Booth. In addition to Ruggles, Bainbridge, and Jett being part of the Mosby ties, there is another name that needs to be checked out. Another Confederate, Enoch Mason, was on that same ferry that took those three Confederates, Booth, and Herold across the Rappahannock.

We have discussed this personally before, but I would like to follow up on something that James O. Hall had me digging for years ago. He and Gen. Tidwell had run across reference to there being three letters of introduction for Booth to make ties in Southern Maryland -- one to Dr. William Queen, one to Dr. Samuel Mudd; and another to a Dr. Garland (who we believe was in St. Mary's County, Maryland).

I could not make a connection with Garland and St. Mary's County, but I did find a Dr. Garland who left Maryland and went to Virginia - and became a physician for President Jefferson Davis.

However, I am now making a big speculation and wondering if the letter of introduction was sent to Mosby's man, Lt. Garland Smith, who was using an alias of Dr. Garland. This would have put Booth in touch with three men (two in Charles County and one in St. Mary's County) who could assist in the escape plans for the kidnap plot or the assassination.

Any history detectives out there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mosby's Men in Southern Maryland - L Verge - 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM
RE: Mosby's Men in Southern Maryland - Laurie Verge - 08-09-2012 10:38 AM