Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
08-02-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
I received this short note yesterday from David W. Gaddy, a co-author of Come Retribution, regarding his search efforts on Charles Hamilton Cawood over the years:

Laurie,
Re: K. Cawood's postings - John alerted me to the exchanges, which have totally diverted my attention. I've continued to be troubled that I advised JOH against publishing before we knew the conclusion, and now it comes from "low-level" sources, just below our former eye-level. I think I want to send her a plaque or something!

You refer to the cemetery recording: I can't recall whether PGC has/had compilations of cemetery records compiled during the late 1930s under the New Deal back-to-work employment of historians, etc. (Those still exist at some NC counties and are invaluable.)

I had little trouble finding Edward and his mother [Cawood's wife and son]. But must dig out my Macon files. He successfully pursued his medical training, but seems to have run afoul of alcohol/drugs and was placed in asylum in Williamsburg. Later with mother when she was matron and he "house doctor."

My impression is that her marriage to Cawood was not well received from the Macons. After Richmond, she and Edward were "taken in" at Montpelier vicinity, (presumably after death of second son with Cawood, and Cawood's departure?). She redeemed herself by returning to the name of the dead hero, but her reception was thin, and I find no record of her interitance; whereas Edward received family silver. She returns to Richmond, as I recall, but I'll have to refer to notes I have on connections there.

I had hoped the (earlier) Baltimore Sun account might contain more details, as may yet happen.

It is wonderful how bits and pieces and fragments of family memory are coming together!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 08-02-2013 11:49 AM