A Great Day
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
A Great Day
Just had to share that we had a great day of history at Surratt House today. Every July, we offer a weekend of free tours, and this is THE weekend this year. In addition, on Saturdays, we have a Civil War encampment (no battle) with the 3rd U.S. Regular Infantry group giving camp life demonstrations (from carpentry work to medical tents, firing demos and such).

In four hours time, we had 200 visitors visit the camp and also take the house tour -- to rave reviews! It was special to me because I got to reminisce over the thirty-eight years I have been here. One of our former guides (started at age 18) is now married to a member of the 3rd U.S. that she actually met at one of our encampments about twenty-five years ago. Both were here in camp.

Near the end of the day, in walked another former "soldier" that my husband and I had introduced to the field of re-enacting when he was 15 and still too young to carry a weapon. I had not seen him for about thirty years. He was there with his wife and two children.

No sooner had he left than in walked one of the first re-enactors that started our re-enactment programs in 1977. Someone else that I hadn't seen in thirty years. I spent a great deal of my day remembering the many fun times and fine people I have worked with over the years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Great Day - L Verge - 07-13-2013 04:43 PM
RE: A Great Day - BettyO - 07-13-2013, 05:42 PM
RE: A Great Day - L Verge - 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
RE: A Great Day - RJNorton - 07-14-2013, 05:23 AM
RE: A Great Day - L Verge - 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM