Report that Booth's Horse Fell on Him
06-27-2013, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013 09:43 PM by wsanto.)
RE: Report that Booth's Horse Fell on Him
(06-27-2013 08:28 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  
(06-27-2013 11:39 AM)wsanto Wrote:  When were the contents of Booth's diary made public?

1867 - During the pre-hearings for the Johnson impeachment. 'Beast' Butler demanded to know Who spoileth that book?

I can seem him spitting that question out.... hopefully, from the back row .

Talk about bad luck - break your leg on the stage AND THEN have a horse fall on you.
Thanks Jerry.

While doing an amateur on-line search of Booth's broken leg I stumbled upon a news account of Booth's capture and demise at Garrett's farm in a New York paper (I recall it being the Times but I am not certain). In the article it was reported, as a matter of fact, that Booth broke his leg during the leap to the stage.

If the contents of the diary were not public knowledge at the time, I wonder how this particular reporter came to that particular conclusion when the NY Herald came to another conclusion as per Betty's find.

I suppose they may have interviewed Conger, who had knowledge of the contents of the diary, and he passed on Booth's written claim.

Here is a link to a Philadelphia Inquirer article on the capture of Booth from Apr. 28th, 1965

http://www.newsinhistory.com/blog/lincol...-shot-dead

It includes a great description of Booth's remains and includes a statement about the broken leg occurring at Ford's and not, as previously reported, by a horse fall on his escape.

((( | '€ :} |###] -- }: {/ ]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report that Booth's Horse Fell on Him - wsanto - 06-27-2013 09:28 PM