Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
06-08-2013, 05:41 AM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
Eva, I am not good at book reviews; I hope you can acquire the book. If you cannot acquire it, please email me your address in Germany, and I will be very happy to lend you my copy. Maybe it's just my impression. Henry and Clara have some arguments before the war and also exchange letters during the war. In both the verbal arguments and the letters, Clara seems like a normal thinking person to me, and Henry comes across at times as just plain "strange." The war certainly had an effect on Henry, and I understand that, but I still find him unusual. Clara often tries to reason with him, but his moodiness and emotional swings continue on. I would not call him mentally ill before April 14, but I think the scenario laid out by Mallon gives the impression this man may have been headed for "issues" in the future even if the assassination had not occurred. At least that is my take. Keep in mind, however, this is historical fiction, and nearly all the letters in the book were created by the author.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - RJNorton - 06-08-2013 05:41 AM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM