Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
05-31-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library?
Isn't it interesting, how several people can read the same information, and then each draws different conclusions from the information they read. With that in mind, everything I say here has to be based on "IMO". Mr. Hebblethwait has his - Mr. Winkler has his - and I have mine - and each was offerd in good faith.
1. Line 2. "...Bates... was in the telegraph office on the night of the assassination." Comment: Who cares? All of the Eckert-Stanton-Lincoln exchange took place much earlier in the day - all before 4 PM.
2. Line 3. "...Crook...saw Lincoln shortly before Lincoln went to the thearter". Comment as above.
3. Line 6. "Bates and Crook...witnessed Lincoln's request for Eckert assistance." Comment: Crook was not there when the request was made.
4. Line 7. Why did they wait 42 years...? Comment: That's a rhetorical question, but I'll answer anyhow. Asking the question does not automatically make the information wrong. Bates was providing 1st Person information, normally that is accepted. BUT -did he keep a diary? Did he start writing immediately in1865, and it took 42 years to complete? etc. Who knows! But I accept what he wrote.
5. Line 9. Comment: Yes, Crooks reminisence should be ignored. He could not have known whether it ever happened, (Lincoln's request for Eckert.)
6. Line 13. Comment: Stanton flat-out Lied. Which was not something new to him. (Maybe the last visit to the teleggraph office was Wednesday NIGHT. Stanton was not in the telegraph office on Friday NIGHT. He was at home for a quiet evening with the family, but he was there up to 4 PM.)
7. Line15. Comment: We have already determined that Crook was not present for the Lincoln/Eckert conversation.
8. Comment: All this confusion is a result of Stanton's effort to keep his plan and his use of Eckert on April 14. a SECRET, from the President. Eckert was not aware of the type of work he would be doing for Stanton that night. So, when Stanton released him from his commitment to work, he went home. What was there for him to write about? (Even if it took 40 years to write.) Stanton, certainly was not about to brag about his devious action. He went to his grave with the details of his secret plan. I do not question what was said and done when Crook met with the President at 7 PM +/-. All interchange between Lincoln, Stanton and Eckert was completed before 4PM. How did Crook know about the interchange? Stanton didn't tell him. Maybe Lincoln mentioned it, and that part is not recorded.
I have read the same material that the others have read, so, I have omitted any cites for the sources. I would be pleased to cite the work if need be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is there a list of the best Lincoln Assassination Consp. books for our library? - John Stanton - 05-31-2013 07:14 PM