Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
05-23-2013, 06:23 PM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
I know a small bit about Cawood, but I don't knew it all. His Camp was on my farm. At that time it was owned by Hugh Mercer Tennant. So, referrences to his camp sometimes mention the "Tennant Farm". Charles Hamilton Cawood married Lucy Johnson Macon on Mar. 7 1865 in Richmond. Lucy had a son by her first husband Edgar Conway Macon, but he died at the Battle of the First Manassas. The son was Edgar Jr. More about him later.Did you catch Edgar's middle name? He was related to James Madison's wife.
Cawood disappears after Dec. 1865, along with his son, John Edward Cawood, born Dec. 15, 1865 in Richmond. I have hunted in South America, Egypt and the USA. Not a word. Lucy dropped the Cawood name immediately an she and Edgar lived in Richmond. A little while later she moved to the Macon Home in Orange. (She went where the Money was). She may have had a falling out with the Macons, because she returns to Richmond where she worked as a Matron in the Alms House up into the 1890's. Her son became a Doctor and was in business in Orange. I have more on him - where he lived and died and is buried -but so what? I am working from memory right now but I do have death date on Lucy etc. Either she and/or Edgar Jr. are burried at Montpelier (Madison's home in Orange, VA.
It appears that Cawood and Lucy split shortly after Dec. 1865. Whether he took his son with him, or whether the son died - I don't know. There is no record of their deaths in Richmond Vital Records.
I have talked with Cawood descendants, and the whole family believes that Charles H. Cawood died in the Barn fire on the Garrett farm. I don't laugh - I listen. I will try to find the file where I stored Garrett's testimony, to the Law. I think I gave it the James Hall. (Laurie, ask your Librarian to look, Please. Garrett talks about the "Red Head", that died. (That's History for you!) Laurie - It might show in Garrett's claim for damages to his barn and it's contents.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - John Stanton - 05-23-2013 06:23 PM