Congressman Lincoln and the return of the wooden leg of General Santa Anna
05-12-2013, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 12:26 AM by Thomas Thorne.)
RE: Congressman Lincoln and the return of the wooden leg of General Santa Anna
It is interesting that Lincoln supported Gen. Zachary Taylor for president in 1848 and never returned the Mexican Cession to Mexico. The Mexican Cession did help produce a terrible case of indigestion called the US Civil War.

If I thought that returning Santa Anna's leg would appease the devotees of Aztlan,I would do so but I think it would only whet their appetite for something far more substantial.

I am all for understanding the historical grievances of other peoples provided they understand our own and each side understands that what is past is past and can not be undone.

I would treat attempts to undo the results of the Mexican War in the same way Pres. Abraham Lincoln dealt with attempts to divide the United States.

Examining the deficiencies of our ancestors is a proper subject of historical study but wallowing in guilt over our very existence as a nation is prejudicial to our perpetuation as a nation state with all the evil consequences that would entail.
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Congressman Lincoln and the return of the wooden leg of General Santa Anna - Thomas Thorne - 05-12-2013 11:14 PM