Abraham Lincoln and China
08-02-2012, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 03:49 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: Abraham Lincoln and China
I do not know how accurate this is, but I had this in my files regarding the elephant offer (English translation - I am assuming the original letter was not in English?):

"If the President of the United States and Congress, who conjointly with him rule the country, see fit to approve, let them provide a large vessel loaded with hay and other food suitable for elephants on the voyage, with tanks holding a sufficiency of fresh water, and arranged with stalls so that the elephant can both stand and lie down in the ship. We, on our part, will procure young male and female elephants, and forward them, one or two pairs at a time. When the elephants are on board the ship, let a steamer take it in tow, that it may reach America as rapidly as possible, before they become wasted and diseased by the voyage. When they arrive in America, do not let them be taken to a cold climate out of the regions of the sun's declinations or torrid zone , but let them, with all haste, be turned out to run wild in some jungle suitable for them, not confining them any length of time. If these means can be done, we trust that the elephants will propagate their species hereafter in the continent of America. It is desirable that the President of the United States and Congress give us their views in reference to this matter at as early a date as possible."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abraham Lincoln and China - RJNorton - 08-02-2012 03:46 PM