J. J. Reford and J. J. Chaffee...who were they?...Really??
05-08-2013, 05:01 AM
RE: J. J. Reford and J. J. Chaffee...who were they?...Really??
I am confused and trying to make sense of what is being discussed. This is simply my take on this; if I am off base about this plot, sobeit. For me personally the most interesting thing about this was what Bill Richter said (and it's also in the Surratt Courier articles). We have talked on this forum about whether the New York crowd was behind Lincoln's assassination. But now we are talking about a plot to kidnap, not murder. Lincoln was to be kidnapped on Easter, April 16th; i.e. Booth's assignment from New York was to kidnap Lincoln on that date, NOT kill him. Booth then broke ranks on that plan and assassinated Lincoln. The New York crowd was furious over the events of April 14th, and they now wanted Booth dead. So was Booth running from the feds or was he running from the New York crowd (specifically J.J. Reford)? Reford was allegedly a cold-blooded killer.(?) Is there any evidence during the 12-day manhunt that Booth feared Reford as much the feds? Any evidence he felt Reford was out to kill him (and therefore silence him) before the feds could capture him (which would give Booth the opportunity to spill the beans about the New York crowd).

Was Booth referring to the New York crowd when he wrote in his diary, "Though I have a greater desire and almost a mind to return to Washington, and in a measure clear my name - which I feel I can do."

So was Booth, a marked man, running from two entirely separate entities? Is there corroborating evidence that verifies Reford was on Booth's trail?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: J. J. Reford and J. J. Chaffee...who were they?...Really?? - RJNorton - 05-08-2013 05:01 AM