John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
05-05-2013, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 09:48 PM by scldrgnfly.)
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
(04-03-2013 05:38 PM)John Stanton Wrote:  
(04-03-2013 04:00 AM)scldrgnfly Wrote:  Here is the link to the Benn Pittman letter to the Phonographic Institute stating he left the picture of Dr. Samuel Mudd out of the official picture of the alleged conspirators out of respect for the doctor's family. It is on the Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Research Site:

http://www.samuelmudd.com/the-accused.html

Will post about John M. as soon as I check a few things and take care of my daughter's financial aid stuff for UNC.

Frankly, I am in awe of my illustrious company!!! I am not worthy!! I have so much to read to catch up with all of you!!

About Beall, was he involved in any blockade running around Port Tobacco, and does anyone know how I can find out about ships that were seized for the Union around Washington, DC and Alexandria?

Martha Edwards Smith
Re Post #18. Google "Potomac Flotilla". There is a list of all boats. Pick a name and Google that. When you have a chance, post some specific questions. I have parts of logbooks (April 13 to April 24, 1865) for about 25 gunboats - maybe I can help. I am working on a story about the "Reliance" that involves Gen George Armstrong Custer. Wierd, eh what?

[quote='John Stanton' pid='15617' dateline='1365025080']
[quote='scldrgnfly' pid='15588' dateline='1364976051']
Here is the link to the Benn Pittman letter to the Phonographic Institute stating he left the picture of Dr. Samuel Mudd out of the official picture of the alleged conspirators out of respect for the doctor's family. It is on the Dr. Samuel A. Mudd Research Site:

http://www.samuelmudd.com/the-accused.html

Will post about John M. as soon as I check a few things and take care of my daughter's financial aid stuff for UNC.

Frankly, I am in awe of my illustrious company!!! I am not worthy!! I have so much to read to catch up with all of you!!

About Beall, was he involved in any blockade running around Port Tobacco, and does anyone know how I can find out about ships that were seized for the Union around Washington, DC and Alexandria?

Martha Edwards Smith
Re Post #18. Google "Potomac Flotilla". There is a list of all boats. Pick a name and Google that. When you have a chance, post some specific questions. I have parts of logbooks (April 13 to April 24, 1865) for about 25 gunboats - maybe I can help. I am working on a story about the "Reliance" that involves Gen George Armstrong Custer. Wierd, eh what?
PS. There were Navy boats, Army boats, Detective boats, so we may not be able to get them all. Lafayette Bakers cousin (Stanard) was in charge of the boats in Alexandria, VA - that gave Baker his "own Navy".

I apologize for reposting that last post!

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back, I have been trying to catch up on everyone's work I can find.
To Betty and Laurie, you have given me courage and I have found someone in the family that has at least one box of pictures and maybe two. We are going to meet soon. Interestingly, one photo she emailed me was of an H. C. Wilkes, how did JWB come by his middle name?

To John Stanton, I did find the ships, but evidently, what occurred was at some point in 1861, before the actual Potomac Flotilla was officially organized, they sought "volunteers" from the ships in Washington and at least one of my cousins' ships was taken into the Union fleet. While he worked for the Union while on duty, his heart and off-times were devoted to the Confederacy. In fact, there is some question in the family as to how it was rather easily "taken" from the Union and used by those who took her to capture more Union Prizes on the way to the Rapahannock...It was the St. Nicholas, taken by Zarvona (Thomas). I have one of my cousin's ads from before 1861, so I know it was the St. Nicholas....he also had a son named Nicholas.

Did you happen to see "The Dictionary of Naval War Ships (I think)" on Google?

Also, does anybody know who the real J. J. Reford, or J. J. Chaffee are? Are they code names? If so, I might have a guess. I would love to know if they are real names for real people.

Could the Lincoln Assassination Conspiracy have a both Union and Confederate support group?

I think I might have made some interesting connections that fit together quite logically and tie together quite nicely, but it's a bit complicated and I really want the mystery to unfold for all of you in pieces....I keep finding things that connect, and while I think there could have been suspicions about this direction, I really haven't found anyone pursuing this line.

Did anyone know that about this time there was a ship out there called the "Lincoln Webb?" Coincidence?? Funny! Eh!?! Kidnappers and murderers with a sense of humor??

I really do need to know about Chaffee and Reford, if anyone knows, or knows where to look.

We used to sail at "Little Washington" all the time (Demills), coincidences abound. Did I say that in addition to being related to John Minchen Lloyd, my maternal grandmother was a Perrine, related to Charles O. Perrine, the cartographer who made the map of the Southern States (Confederate) that was in JWB's coat pocket in Atzerodt's room at the Kirkwood....and, if I am right about this other thing, my daughter babysat some of the great-great grandchildren of another family possibly involved in the conspiracy while she was in college. Crazy!! I know I could be wrong about the last thing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - scldrgnfly - 05-05-2013 08:50 PM