Did Mrs. Surratt Wear Shoes on the Gallows
04-11-2013, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 10:20 AM by Gene C.)
RE: Did Mrs. Surratt Wear Shoes on the Gallows
(04-10-2013 09:22 PM)John Stanton Wrote:  Would walking around without shoes give Mrs Surratt reason to complain about Falling - on the gallows?

John, on another thread (and I can't remember which one) we talked about Valerian Wine was given to some of the prisoners to steady their nerves, etc. Mrs Surratt drank some. Nerves, influence of the wine, hot weather, the stability of the scafold, I think all contributed to her feeling unsteady and concern about falling. I have always wondered if her comment about "don't let me fall" had some reference to dont let me die - don't let me fall through the trap door.

Jim, on another thead, (and I can't remember which one) we talked about the sudden jerk when you reached the end of your rope could cause your shoes to come flying off. I remember a newspaper article where a pedestrian was hit by a car and was literally knocked our of her shoes. If Mrs Surratt's shoes were securely tied or fastened above her ankles, this might not be a concern.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mrs. Surratt Wear Shoes on the Gallows - Gene C - 04-11-2013 10:08 AM