John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
04-01-2013, 04:17 PM
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
What great information, Betty! I forgot to mention how much I love "O Brother Where Art Thou!" The music is positively incredible! Earl Stanley is so wonderful, too!

Also, I truly think what Laurie said about the fact that while we may think of Lincoln's assassination as an horrendous affair, that sacrificed one of our greatest presidents. It was not only during war, but it was after The Emancipation Proclamation (January 1, 1863, which was a very good thing, and long overdue), but it was tantamount to an Executive Order by Lincoln himself- not Congress....following the public's outcry to end the war in 1862, Lincoln called for 300,000 more draftees to be filled by quotas from all states and The District of Columbia.

It sounds from much of the testimony, people's true feelings really couldn't be masked after that and from just those two acts, I would imagine people began to look at Lincoln as the source of their immediate pain.

Notwithstanding a way of life without slavery had to become reality, and States Rights truly took a hit, who can look at the Brady photos, and others, consider the way of infantry battle and want to part with 300,000 of their loved ones in such a manner.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - scldrgnfly - 04-01-2013 04:17 PM