John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
04-01-2013, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 02:32 PM by BettyO.)
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
Thanks ever so much, we're glad that you've joined us!

RE: Powell - As far as is known, the carriage was parked aways down the street - and the streets (or at least H street as far as I know - anyone else's guess?) was unlit by gas at that time. It was somewhat overcast so it must have been quite dark except for a few lamps in windows where folk had stayed up late. It was about 11 - 11:30 PM when Powell came down the street. Apparently he did not see the carriage in the darkness nor the soldier standing hidden under the front porch. He was also extremely weary, having not slept or eaten adequately for about 3 days. Add to that the fact that he probably had a slight concussion from being thrown from his horse and you've got a mix of things.... I don't really think that he was lost (he sure found his way back to the boarding house) but feel more or less that he was pretty much "out of it" and resigned to his fate, as he told Dr. Gillette the night before he died.

And...Jonathan - I LOVE O'Brother - and didn't really recognize "Lloyd!" It's definitely a "Must See!" I even have the soundtrack as well as the DVD....For those who don't know, O' Brother Where Art Thou is a "Southern Odyssey"; a comedy based on Homers Odyssey -- you've got to see this movie! It's a Southern Classic! Now that I know "Lloyd" is in it, I'll have to check it out again!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - BettyO - 04-01-2013 02:30 PM