John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
04-01-2013, 05:57 AM
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
Welcome to the forum, Martha. Like you, I have been curious about the lack of a photo for John Lloyd. Can't we consider him a conspirator? I believe the tavern he rented was a known Confederate safe house when he leased it from Mary Surratt in 1864. Wouldn't she have explained to him what he was leasing? Wouldn't she have wanted to lease it to someone sympathetic to the Confederate cause? After the failed kidnapping attempt, David Herold and John Surratt (plus Atzerodt?) went to the tavern to hide two carbines, a monkey wrench, and some rope. Surely there must have been conversation between Lloyd and Surratt as to why these items needed to be hidden. Doesn't the fact that Lloyd accepted these items to be hidden make him part of the conspiracy? I mean he could have gone to the police in March and told them of this suspicious activity; perhaps it's a stretch to assume he could have saved Lincoln's life, but who knows what might have happened. Plus I think he misled the investigators who interviewed him right after the assassination.

P.S. Betty, I agree! The gentleman who played John Lloyd in "The Conspirator" was terrific.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - RJNorton - 04-01-2013 05:57 AM