John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
04-01-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 07:34 AM by BettyO.)
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really?
Welcome to our Forum!

Your information on Lloyd sounds wonderful! He is a somewhat shadowy individual - but that's what makes him facinating! It could be that there are extant photos of John Lloyd, but others in the family don't want to divulge it. This was the case with some of the Powell family photos - little did anyone know that there was a baby photo of Lewis Powell, as well as boyhood photos until I did a little digging.

I for one would be very interested in seeing what Mr.Lloyd looked like as well as hearing more of his facinating history. What you have written here is grand!

As to why young (Powell) was "disguised" as a ditch digger when he went to Mrs. Surratt's is anyone's guess. It is my understanding that he utilized the disguise in order to make his way to Mrs. Surratt's house in order to obtain a night's rest, a meal, some clothing (most importantly, a hat!) and then make his way to the train station in order to go to Baltimore. At least this was what he told Dr. Gillette, his spiritual advisor in the death cell. Of course, Mrs. Surratt knew Powell. He had boarded at her house for three days, eaten at her table, been entertained in her parlor. She knew the boy's voice, I'm sure - if not his size. While she may not have known of his involvement in what transpired at Seward's House, she did know his involvement in the kidnap plot and affiliation with Booth and therefore was going to deny knowning the youth. Powell, himself however, would chivelrously would deny her involvement in anything until his death.

By the way, did you see the movie The Conspirator a few years ago? The character of John Lloyd was my favorite!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: John Minchin Lloyd - Who was he...really? - BettyO - 04-01-2013 05:55 AM