Springfield Tour
09-25-2013, 10:48 AM
RE: Springfield Tour
Joe has done a great job with our Springfield itinerary.
And the motels are conveniently located only four block away so we can make a midnight Dunkin Doughnuts run.

It's not to late to sign up!

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 07:53 AM
I hope the government can get something worked out, otherwise it looks like you guys will only be able to see the outside of Lincoln's home.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2013, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 08:16 AM by Gene C.)
The Lincoln Museum and Library (which has the Taper Collection - Laurie mentioned Ms Taper yesterday in the Extra Credit thread) and the Lincoln Tomb are state operated sites and they should be open. New Salem and the Lincoln Home are part of the National Park Service, so as of now, who knows. But the cemetery where Ann Rutledge is buried we can still visit

The restaurants (including Dunkin Donuts), book stores (I could spend a day here) , the Springfield Mall (my wife could spend a day here) and other sites of interest will still be open.

I have full confidence that the political pressure will force our illustrious federal gov't politicians to meander their way into resolving the "government shutdown"

10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Of course you guys will still have plenty to see and do even if the NPS is still shut down. But, as Joe, showed above, you'll really miss out on seeing such "bold" wallpaper covering a room.
10-01-2013, 10:30 AM
My wife and I talked about the trip in light of the government shut-down. We are still going! Even if Lincoln's home is closed we will still go there and look at it from the outside. And there are so many other sites to see anyway.

Bill Nash
10-01-2013, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 10:39 AM by Gene C.)
Me too! Part of the reason for me going is to meet some of the people in this discussion group.
(Since the ownership of the motel has changed since I made my reservation, I reconfirmed my room.)

10-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Right on Gene!

Bill Nash
10-01-2013, 01:42 PM
(10-01-2013 08:15 AM)Gene C Wrote:  The Lincoln Museum and Library (which has the Taper Collection - Laurie mentioned Ms Taper yesterday in the Extra Credit thread) and the Lincoln Tomb are state operated sites and they should be open. New Salem and the Lincoln Home are part of the National Park Service, so as of now, who knows. But the cemetery where Ann Rutledge is buried we can still visit

The restaurants (including Dunkin Donuts), book stores (I could spend a day here) , the Springfield Mall (my wife could spend a day here) and other sites of interest will still be open.

I have full confidence that the political pressure will force our illustrious federal gov't politicians to meander their way into resolving the "government shutdown"

Actually, New Salem is a state historic site, so it should be OK. I tried going to the Lincoln home site and got a message that said all national parks were closed and the websites not working. Since I'll be in the Lincoln Presidential Library when you guys are at the Lincoln home, I'll be fine. Smile

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-01-2013, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 02:33 PM by Gene C.)
Just called New Salem and confirmed they will be open. (They also have a National Park web site, but it's shut down today) Don't know what the government "shutdown" has to do with closing National Park web sites)

Actually I do, but my mom said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Well this is what I have to say about the closed web sites, " ............................."

10-01-2013, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 03:03 PM by Joe Di Cola.)
(10-01-2013 02:31 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Just called New Salem and confirmed they will be open. (They also have a National Park web site, but it's shut down today) Don't know what the government "shutdown" has to do with closing National Park web sites)

Actually I do, but my mom said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. Well this is what I have to say about the closed web sites, " ............................."

And, as the Bard penned in Romeo and Juliet--"A plague on both their houses!"

We will still visit Lincoln's neighborhood on Friday morning. There is much to see and do in the neighborhood, including learning how the house's appearance changed over time, and also some archaeological information. By next Friday the morons might even get their petty @#%&X!! resolved and then the Lincoln house might be open. Who knows with that bunch!
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2013 03:38 PM by Gene C.)
For those of you that haven't signed up yet, there is still time. You don't want to miss out on Joe's colorful commentary and insight into the world of Abraham Lincoln.

10-01-2013, 08:11 PM
For all of those who are meeting in Springfield next week for the tour...
There is a possibility that even a "walking" access to the Lincoln neighborhood may be thwarted since the entire site is under the auspices of the National Park Service. If there needs to be a change of plans, we can discuss it at our social get-together in the Globe Tavern at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
Again, we can hope that the madness will be over by the time of our visit.
Looking forward to seeing and meeting all of you,
Joe
10-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok Joe!

Bill Nash
10-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Understood.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Day two (or one and a half, if you will) begins today. We all met last night at the President Abraham Lincoln Hotel's Globe Tavern for an evening of talking and getting acquainted. Today I'm going to be doing research on my Tarbell book in the morning and then join up with the group in the afternoon after eating lunch at the Feed Store, one of the best soup and sandwich joints in Springfield. The group will be going to the Lincoln Museum and Presidential Library this morning and Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House this afternoon. It's going to be a cracker-jack of a day.

Pictures will follow at some point, if not today.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg