Dr. Charles Augustus Leale
01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
RE: Dr. Charles Augustus Leale
A friend of Mrs. Lincoln's, whom I can't remember the name of, did come to attend to her during the death watch; but I don't remember (and doubt) that she was allowed to view the President. Some of the Petersen daughters also helped Mrs. Lincoln and supplied things to the doctors in attendance, but again, I doubt they entered the room.

BTW: The Rubber Room phrase was actually conceived several years before Holzer and Williams used it for the title of their booklet. The originator was a young college girl in Dr. Terry Alford's class at Northern Virginia Community College. We had published her paper on the phenomenon in an issue of the Surratt Courier. I asked that Harold and Frank give her credit in the booklet, and I believe they did.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 09:56 PM by ReignetteC.)
(01-26-2013 01:21 PM)L Verge Wrote:  A friend of Mrs. Lincoln's, whom I can't remember the name of, did come to attend to her during the death watch; but I don't remember (and doubt) that she was allowed to view the President. Some of the Petersen daughters also helped Mrs. Lincoln and supplied things to the doctors in attendance, but again, I doubt they entered the room.

BTW: The Rubber Room phrase was actually conceived several years before Holzer and Williams used it for the title of their booklet. The originator was a young college girl in Dr. Terry Alford's class at Northern Virginia Community College. We had published her paper on the phenomenon in an issue of the Surratt Courier. I asked that Harold and Frank give her credit in the booklet, and I believe they did.

Laurie, I think it was Mary Jane Welles who stayed with Mary Lincoln at the Petersen house, and thereafter at the Executive Mansion
01-26-2013, 09:37 PM
It was Elizabeth Dixon.
01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
And Clara Harris was there-she stayed with Mrs. Lincoln right to the end.
I also think Laura Keene came in the house, but I'm not positive of it.
01-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Elizabeth Dixon was the one I was thinking of, but I do remember a reference to Mrs. Welles. I think she may have come later that morning to the White House. Mrs. Keckly was asked for, but the messengers could not find her house that night.
01-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I checked the book by Holzer and Williams and the four women are listed as:

1. Mrs. Mary Kinney.
2. Constance Kinney.
3. Clara Harris.
4. Elizabeth Dixon.
01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Matt,
A very well written piece on Dr. Leale!

Craig
01-28-2013, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 08:55 PM by Jim Garrett.)
(01-27-2013 06:32 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  I checked the book by Holzer and Williams and the four women are listed as:

1. Mrs. Mary Kinney.
2. Constance Kinney.
3. Clara Harris.
4. Elizabeth Dixon.

Mrs. Dixon was the wife of Sen. James Dixon of Ct., and early member of the Republican party. They lived on or near Lafayette Square. When the messenger came for Mrs. Dixon, her sister, I believe it was Mary Kinney went with her. Poor MTL needed all the support she could get.

(01-23-2013 12:06 PM)JWB1865 Wrote:  Hey guys/gals,
This is my senior thesis paper on Charles Leale, tell me what you think and give opinions/comments!

-Matt

Very well written, and concise. I have a PDF of the transcribed 12 page report written by Leale immediately after to Surgeon General Barnes. It was written on mourning paper with a black border.
04-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Here is some trivia about Miss Constance Kinney, who was present at Lincoln's death bed --
Which cabinet member was sweet on her? Answer: Chase, early in the war. It turns out :Constance was a tobacco heiress and married Count Cesar Giannoti. She was less like Kate Chase and more like Lady Grantham. After Constance was married her mother, Mary Kinney, Elizabeth Dixon's older sister, also at Lincoln's bedside, purchased Colonna palace and resided with her daughter and family in Rome Italy.

Caroline
04-18-2014, 05:13 AM
Fascinating, Caroline. Thank you! I sure would never have guessed.
04-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Caroline,
I believe you and I were discussing ( via email) relics in the Dixon family. If so then would you care to give us some info on your book which will include pictures of the dress Elizabeth wore to Lincoln's funeral?
12-06-2014, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 09:30 AM by Gene C.)
Welcome Thomas Kearney.

Regarding your first post on the 2015 Surratt Conference thread...
If you haven't already, you may want to contact Matt Macoubrie, he did his senior thesis paper on Dr. Leale (first post on this thread). Most of the people on this site are very generous with their knowledge and helping people find information.

You have come to the right place.

Any intriguing item of detail or overall impression about Dr. Leale you want to share with us?

Don't want to overwhelm you with info, but Dave Taylor's Boothie Barn is a fun and educational place to visit too!
http://boothiebarn.com/

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
(12-06-2014 09:23 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Welcome Thomas Kearney.

Regarding your first post on the 2015 Surratt Conference thread...
If you haven't already, you may want to contact Matt Macoubrie, he did his senior thesis paper on Dr. Leale (first post on this thread). Most of the people on this site are very generous with their knowledge and helping people find information.

You have come to the right place.

Any intriguing item of detail or overall impression about Dr. Leale you want to share with us?

Don't want to overwhelm you with info, but Dave Taylor's Boothie Barn is a fun and educational place to visit too!
http://boothiebarn.com/

Thanks! Glad to be here and share my knowledge.