Louis Weichmann
09-02-2015, 05:17 AM
RE: Louis Weichmann
Just curious if anyone has an opinion. Here is a LOC photo of the office of the Commissary General of Prisoners where Weichmann worked.

[Image: commisary.jpg]

This is a blowup of the man in an upper window, second from the left.

[Image: weichmanninwindow100.jpg]

Is this man Louis Weichmann?

Mike Kauffman suggested the possibility/probability in his article entitled "John Wilkes Booth and the Murder of Abraham Lincoln" in Volume 7, issue 4 (1990) of Blue & Gray Magazine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2015, 06:31 AM
(09-02-2015 05:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Just curious if anyone has an opinion. . . Is this man Louis Weichmann?

Hey, Roger--

In my opinion, worth just what you paid for it (zip!), yes; that is Louis Weichmann.

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
09-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Nice photo! I've been studying it and there is a resemblance. Some differences though, no mustache and his hair is parted on the other side. Thanks for posting that!

"I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony on behalf of my murdered father." "Who are you, sonny? " asked I. "My name is Tad Lincoln," was his answer.
09-02-2015, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2015 08:56 AM by Susan Higginbotham.)
I think he's a different person. The facial structure looks dissimilar to me, plus the absence of a mustache. Great picture, though!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 09:16 AM
I think I am undecided at this point. Here is a side-by-side with the Commissary General of Prisoners' photo flipped:

[Image: weich.jpg] [Image: weichmanninwindow101.jpg]
09-02-2015, 09:53 AM
That side by side comparison helps Roger.
I'm definately undecided, but I'm 100% positively certain, without a doubt, it could be him.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-02-2015, 10:23 AM
We had a grand debate on that photograph back in the late-80s or so when Mike first brought it to our attention. If I remember correctly, the concensus then was the same as what Gene just posted.

My uneducated guess was that it was the young Weichmann ca. 1864 in the window and that the other pose was of an older Weichmann (do we know a date?). The smile had me confused because it appears to show somewhat of a lower jaw overbite that is not reflected in the more solemn version.
09-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Lol, Gene! I don' suppose the date of the photo is known? The coat looks like a match, and the hair, looks like the right value/ color unless the guy's hair was red, and the amount of curl is the same and in the same places. Booth would have made sure his handkerchief was tidier than that! Now I see their hair is parted on the same side unless I don't know right from left. In the pic of Weichmann his forehead seems to slope back more, but I think it's because of a lock of hair laying at the top of his forehead. Definitely a maybe!

"I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony on behalf of my murdered father." "Who are you, sonny? " asked I. "My name is Tad Lincoln," was his answer.
09-02-2015, 12:30 PM
With the side-by-side and flipped images, I do see more of a resemblance. Cool!
09-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Definitely a possibility it could be him!
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM
(09-02-2015 10:37 AM)Pamela Wrote:  Lol, Gene! I don' suppose the date of the photo is known? The coat looks like a match, and the hair, looks like the right value/ color unless the guy's hair was red, and the amount of curl is the same and in the same places. Booth would have made sure his handkerchief was tidier than that! Now I see their hair is parted on the same side unless I don't know right from left. In the pic of Weichmann his forehead seems to slope back more, but I think it's because of a lock of hair laying at the top of his forehead. Definitely a maybe!

The window photo had to be taken between January 1864 and April 1865, I would think. I'm betting March or April of 1865, either during the Inauguration or the victory celebrations. Did Weichmann ever go back to his job at the Commissary General's office after the assassination? I'm also willing to bet that he never smiled again after the events leading up to July 7.
09-03-2015, 05:55 AM
(09-02-2015 05:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The window photo had to be taken between January 1864 and April 1865, I would think. I'm betting March or April of 1865, either during the Inauguration or the victory celebrations. Did Weichmann ever go back to his job at the Commissary General's office after the assassination? I'm also willing to bet that he never smiled again after the events leading up to July 7.

Is it known exactly when he moved to Philadelphia? He was already living there in 1867 as he was asked where he lived during the John Surratt trial. He told the court he lived in Philadelphia.
09-03-2015, 08:19 AM
(09-03-2015 05:55 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-02-2015 05:30 PM)L Verge Wrote:  The window photo had to be taken between January 1864 and April 1865, I would think. I'm betting March or April of 1865, either during the Inauguration or the victory celebrations. Did Weichmann ever go back to his job at the Commissary General's office after the assassination? I'm also willing to bet that he never smiled again after the events leading up to July 7.

Is it known exactly when he moved to Philadelphia? He was already living there in 1867 as he was asked where he lived during the John Surratt trial. He told the court he lived in Philadelphia.

He was living there as of July 15, 1865, when he responded to John Brophy's accusations. His letter for newspaper publication is dated from Philadelphia.
09-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Thanks, Susan. I am thinking he never returned to his job at the War Department in Washington.
09-03-2015, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 11:19 AM by Pamela.)
In his book he said something to the effect that it was a great relief to return home after he was released from custody and be with his family who truly cared about him. His sisters said he got a job reporting for the Globe before his customs house job. Does anyone know if there is a museum for the documents generated by the Commissary General's office during the Civil war? Is the building still standing? Where was this photo found? The more I look at it the more I think it is likely to be Louis and how nice to see him in a candid, unposed moment. Also, there appears to be a Lincoln look alike contest going on, Wink

Maybe I'll do some research at the national archives. That'll be a first.