Breaking a leg
12-23-2012, 08:56 AM
RE: Breaking a leg
(12-22-2012 10:48 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  Bert,

Thanks for sharing your first hand experience with a broken fibula. I used to very much support Kauffman's theory but that was before I knew the fibula was not a weight bearing bone. The problem seems to be where we draw the line at Booth's credibility. One of these days I'll spend time doing some in depth research to figure out which side I want to come down on.

Dave, the only way to really understand the nature of the injury and how it may have changed the course of history is to re-live it.

We will meet down at Ford's very early before the staff gets in. Make sure to wear over the knee riding boots. Go around the corner to the MacDonalds on E St and get a Big Breakfast. Bring it in to the 24 hour guard. Put extra quantities of Turbo-Lax in the coffeee. While the guard is occupied, I bring my truck and horse trailer up the back alley and unload my daughter's horse. Jazzy is about 12 and never ridden. This should replicate Booth's high spirited horse.

I will acquire a key to the box (possibly through nepharious means). I will push you over the railing, and you will off balance on the stage below. You ride through Washington and somewhere on Old Branch Ave I will put a rope across the road and trip the horse. If you don't break your leg, I'll help out with a big heavy pipe. Be patient, it may take a couple of wacks. Then you ride on to the Surratt Tavern.

Then after about 2 months of healing, we repeat the whole process, except this time, I wack your leg with the pipe on the stage.

This will be excellent comparative analysis and will make interesting reading on Boothiebarn.com. This will show your outstanding dedication to the study of all facets of the Lincoln Assassination and will make you the researcher everyone will talk about for years to come. Don't thank me, Dave, I'm doing this for you.

Merry Christmas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2012, 09:44 AM
You guys are really dedicated...my hat is off to you. Dave, please wear spurs and let me know where it comes off; the stage, down the street from the Mudd farm or somewhere near Annapolis (doubtful). Thank you for your attention to this matter.
12-23-2012, 10:08 AM
I like the way you think Jim. This sounds like just my kind of fun! If you can put this historical research experiment off until March, please count me in. As you throw Dave from the box, I'll grab his coat and rip it so this gets done right.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Yes, Yes, Yes, we can substitute this for the Sunday Surratt conference field trip!!! Much more interactive. Dave, it is your responsibility to conduct this valuable research. I feel honored to assist you in this latest of our field trips and to include so many.
12-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Jim and Dave,

It is so nice to see people so dedicated to doing original research, risking life and limb in pursuit of the truth.
Jim, excellent plan, we can tell you've spent as much time and attention to detail in this escape attempt as Booth obviously did adding to the realism of the reinactment. Dave, don't forget to take some liquid incouragement and fortification before you begin your long journey over the rail. Wish I could help out and play the part of the young, dim-witted assistant, Davey. Unfortunately, I am a bit to old and over qualified. Best of luck guys, and as they say in show business "break a leg"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
12-23-2012, 10:29 AM
(12-23-2012 08:56 AM)Jim Garrett Wrote:  Don't thank me, Dave, I'm doing this for you.

Bryan Adams sang:

Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for
You know it's true
Everything I do, I do it for you

I love it when folks are willing to go the extra mile to get history right. I hope you gentlemen will give us permission to post the results here as well as at BoothieBarn.
12-23-2012, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2012 10:35 AM by J. Beckert.)
This is the best idea I've heard in years. As long as Taylor can keep the whiskey down, this should be a researching benchmark that others will marvel at. Somebody call the History Channel. This is too good to not share it with the world.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
12-23-2012, 11:02 AM
(12-22-2012 10:48 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  One of these days I'll spend time doing some in depth research to figure out which side I want to come down on.

I think you want the horse to fall on your left leg.

12-23-2012, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2012 11:07 AM by Dave Taylor.)
Gentlemen,

The plan is nearly perfect and I am more than willing to be the guinea pig for such important historical research. There's only one caveat. What will be the motivation for me to flee the theatre after Jim bashes me in the leg? Booth knew there were many angry audience members who would kill him if he stayed, so the adrenaline helped him a lot. If I'm really getting into the mindset of John Wilkes Booth, I'll need some similar motivation to get up and get moving after such a crippling blow. Like Daniel Day Lewis, I need to become the character. So how are you guys to re-create the adrenaline effect of the escape?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-23-2012, 11:28 AM
That's easy. We're going to kidnap you 10 days before and keep you hid. I'm going to steal your credit card and go on the mother of all tears through the entire D.C. area. Then we'll put Lindsey in the orchestra and just before you're thrown out, we'll have Smyth show her the receipts.

12-23-2012, 11:52 AM
In Additional, we will tell Lidsey that you have secretly been a "Lincoln Man" and that you think Davey Herold really is the dim mided simpleton portrayed by many.
12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
"He spent $5000 on booze, massages and Moon Pies AND he thinks Davy is a simpleton?"

12-23-2012, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2012 01:56 PM by Gene C.)
(12-23-2012 11:06 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  What will be the motivation for me to flee the theatre after Jim bashes me in the leg? ....So how are you guys to re-create the adrenaline effect of the escape?

We are going to invite Laurie to sit in the front row of the theater.
We are going to tell her we have good news and bad news. The bad news is that to save money, the park service is selling the Surratt Tavern. The good news is that Dave Taylor has bought it and turning it into a Wok and Roll or a Stuckey's. Then you jump over the rail, stare at Laurie and shout "Sic Semper Tyranus"

Laurie's reaction should be enough motivation for you to run out of the theater.

12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Laurie is officially announcing to the world here that I know absolutely nothing about what is being plotted. I spend too much on anti-aging neck creams to want rope burns!

See why I love my job? I get to play with creative idiots like this all the time! But, I love 'em...
12-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Does that mean I can go to the Surratt House Monday and purchase a Pecan Roll and a Moon Pie?!??!?!?

I am so psyched!!!

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/