Assassination Trivia
05-18-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Assassination Trivia
Walt Whitman.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2013, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 10:18 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Kudos, Rob! He received the news in Brooklyn. The report was first published in "Specimen Days & Collect" by Reed Welsh (1882).

Rees Welsh
05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
I just put this up on the blog, but what does this site have to do with the assassination?

[Image: 20130519-165327.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
I haven't been to the Boothie Barn yet today, but are you standing on the rock in The Falls near Baltimore where Booth carved his initials?
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
(05-19-2013 06:35 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I haven't been to the Boothie Barn yet today, but are you standing on the rock in The Falls near Baltimore where Booth carved his initials?

Laurie, tell me more about that story. This could be the same place, but we weren't in Baltimore nor did we see any initials.
05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
You are asking me to remember something that we went to about 35 years ago! We did a trip to Booth haunts in Harford County and around Baltimore. The story may come from Asia Booth, but there is a park near the falls of the Patapsco (I think) River where the Booths used to go and supposedly John carved his initials in one of the rocks. Someone at Tudor Hall must remember this better than I.
05-19-2013, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 07:37 PM by J. Beckert.)
The Booth's used to picnic there I believe and I think Booth mentioned it in a letter. Devil's rock? I can't remember without looking it up.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
05-19-2013, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 07:45 PM by BettyO.)
Point of Rocks? ...I think that's what it's called....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-19-2013, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 07:58 PM by L Verge.)
No, Point of Rocks is in upper Montgomery County. I keep thinking this is in Patapsco State Park

(05-19-2013 07:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  No, Point of Rocks is in upper Montgomery County. I keep thinking this is in Patapsco State Park

Oops, before Montgomery County native, JIm Garrett, catches me, Point of Rocks is in Frederick County, Maryland, in the foothills of the Catoctin Mountains.
05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Rocks State Park in Maryland, near the King and Queen Seats. It's a famous Native American ceremony spot. There was a letter written by Booth where he mentioned going to Rocks State Park. It was sold in Profiles in History.
05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Bless your pea-picking heart. Now I can sleep tonight.
05-19-2013, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-19-2013 08:21 PM by Dave Taylor.)
Joe got it. We were at Rocks State Park (formerly Deer Creek State Park) just north of Bel Air in Harford County. In Booth's letters to [Thomas] William O'Laughlen he mentions this area twice.

August 8th, 1854:
"I paid another visit to the Rocks of Deer Creek the other day. it looks just the same and sunday I whent to that large camp meeting with the hope of seeing you there. but I was dissipointed. I saw John Emlet there or that fellow that works in your shop. The Indian's where up here the other day with their great Bear."

June 18, 1855:
"Then comes the grand affair. A pick nick party to be held on the rocks of Deer crick. Thirty-seven couples to attend"

Asia writes of these rocks as well in reference to John:
"John is going on a picnic to the rocks tomorrow. Oh, those great rocks." - Letter from Asia Booth to Jean Anderson, June 28, 1855.

We went to the top of the "King and Queen Seat" rocks there. It provides a stunning, and somewhat precarious, view:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f7gwctcm28gnn...7%20PM.mov

More pics here along with some circa 1879 graffiti: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sqn85pahw7paddc/nV0TBN13hw

We got the whole idea to go there from this website:
http://www.harfordhistory.net/boothtour.htm
05-20-2013, 07:24 AM
To think that Asia and JWB probably stood in that exact same spot is pretty neat.
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Pretty precarious spot! I have too great a fear of heights to go out on that precipice! You are one brave man, Dave! Smile

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-20-2013, 07:39 AM
(05-17-2013 12:19 PM)Rsmyth Wrote:  You got it Roger. Jack died in Europe after an operatrion. His father, Robert Todd Lincoln, brought him back to have him placed in the tomb in Springfield. He was then removed to be reinterred with his father in Arlington.

How old was he when he passed?

Bill Nash