Art Loux's JWB Day by Day
05-02-2014, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 11:09 PM by Dave Taylor.)
Art Loux's JWB Day by Day
Carolyn Mitchell of Tudor Hall is always on the ball with the newest Google alerts and products relating to the Booths. She spied that Art Loux's book John Wilkes Booth: Day-by-Day is now available for pre-order on Amazon with a release date of November 15th!

[Image: art-louxs-jwb-dbd.jpg?w=400]

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wilkes-Booth-...786495278/

I'm so excited, I might pre-order two!

Here's more about the book from the McFarland website: http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2.php...864-9527-6

About the Book
John Wilkes Booth’s brash personality emerges as his life unfolds in this unique account—from his childhood as the son of one of America’s foremost actors, to his own career as a theatrical star, to the development, implementation and aftermath of his plot against Lincoln. By 1865, at the age of 26, Booth had much to lose: a loving family, hosts of friends, adoring women, professional success, and the promise of yet more fame and fortune. Yet he risked everything to orchestrate a daring conspiracy to abduct Lincoln, take him south and barter him for Confederate prisoners of war. The Civil War effectively ended before Booth could carry out his plan, so he assassinated the president, believing him to be a tyrant who had turned the once-proud Union into an engine of oppression that had devastated the South.

Through a combination of lively narrative and detailed daily logs, this book gives a day-by-day account of Wilkes’ complex life—from his birth May 10, 1838, to his death April 26, 1865—and offers a new understanding of the crime that shocked a nation.

About the Author(s)
The late Arthur F. Loux researched the life of John Wilkes Booth for thirty-five years.

Reviews
"Art Loux has created something special. Using a variety of sources including old newspapers and eyewitness accounts of John Wilkes Booth’s acquaintances, he has put together the most thorough account of the assassin’s daily activities ever written. Loux’s effort will provide not only an invaluable resource for researchers and Lincoln assassination buffs, but it will also appeal to a more general audience curious about the intricacies of Booth’s life. Congratulations to Art Loux; this book is the crowning achievement of a lifetime of research by an outstanding historian."--Roger Norton, founder, the Abraham Lincoln Research Site and the Lincoln Discussion Symposium

"What sort of a man was John Wilkes Booth? Historians have shown him to have been a very complex individual who knew how to use people to his advantage. But was he insane? How could someone so disturbed have been so popular and have such an illustrious acting career? Was he a lone assassin, or did he act on orders from the Confederacy to first kidnap and then kill Lincoln? There are still many haunting and unanswered questions. Thanks to Art Loux, we can now find Booth at almost any time during his brief twenty-six year life. Although historians are still divided over what really drove him to kill the Great Emancipator, John Wilkes Booth: Day By Day offers a unique perspective of this enigmatic figure by tracing his whereabouts in chronological order. Previously available only to a select few, McFarland now presents this unique and valuable research tool to everyone!"--Richard Sloan, former president, The Lincoln Group of New York

"During the last twelve days of his life, the entire nation was looking for John Wilkes Booth. Following his assassination of Abraham Lincoln, even suspicions of his movements became national headlines. After Booth’s death on April 26th, 1865, the nation stopped looking at his movements. Luckily for us, historian Art Loux did not. John Wilkes Booth: Day by Day represents the life’s work of Mr. Loux as he traced the movements of Lincoln’s 26-year-old assassin. From his birth near Bel Air, Maryland, to his touring schedule as one of the nation’s premiere actors, to his death at the hands of Union troops, never before has the life of John Wilkes booth been so accurately chronicled. Art Loux provides an unparalleled view of the long path that ultimately led John Wilkes Booth to the presidential box at Ford’s Theatre."--David J. Taylor, Lincoln assassination researcher and writer

"It is a monumental bit of work and no [Lincoln assassination] historian of sense can do without it."--(the late) James O. Hall, co-author of Come Retribution: The Confederate Secret Service and the Assassination of Lincoln.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2014, 10:57 AM
RE: Art Loux's JWB Day by Day
OMG - Beautiful!

I'm pre-ordering mine - Can't wait for this one.....

God bless and thank you, Art!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Yep. I'll enjoy this. RIP Art.
05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Thumbs Up RE: Art Loux's JWB Day by Day
Definitely don't want to miss out on this one! It looks great, Dave. I'll be ordering it. Thanks for the information.
05-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks Dave- I just preordered it too.

Bill Nash
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
It will definitely be offered through the Surratt House gift shop also.
05-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Oops! Sorry Laurie!

Bill Nash
05-04-2014, 12:25 PM
The Surratt Society it will be
05-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Thanks Dave for the mention. I'm always on the look out for any new announcements to post on the Spirits of Tudor Hall Facebook and Twitter pages. I saw the new JWB new book announcement on Twitter a couple of days ago and just wanted to make sure you knew about.

Thanks for all your great write ups on the BoothieBarn blog.
05-10-2014, 02:59 PM
JWB is one of my least favorite people in history...I despise him in fact.
But goodness, the guy was SO handsome. I can't deny that.

Okay...there's my vapid, shallow little contribution to this thread!Tongue
05-10-2014, 03:08 PM
(05-10-2014 02:59 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  JWB is one of my least favorite people in history...I despise him in fact.

No matter how one feels about John Wilkes Booth this is an outstanding book. I was fortunate in that the late Art Loux asked me to preview his book, and I was literally blown away with the amount of research Art did over the years. Art was very knowledgeable on Abraham Lincoln, too, and over an approximate 15-year period sent me more information on Lincoln than he did on Booth. Art was truly an amazing gentleman. It was an honor for me to be in touch with him.
05-10-2014, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 03:41 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
Yes, I was reading the forum comments about Mr. Loux and they caused me to tear up Roger. I saw his photo and went online to read his obituary as well.

I really wish I had known him but I joined the Forum too late. My loss!
05-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Quote:Art was truly an amazing gentleman. It was an honor for me to be in touch with him.

Art was a dear friend and original "Boothie" - loads of fun to be around and one of the most patient and knowledgeable people I've ever known. I'm so very proud to have known him. Can't wait for the book!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I agree with Betty. Art was also very humble. He never expected accolades, even though we knew he deserved them for the terrific amount of research that he did and his great willingness to share it and to offer advice.