Worthless, but entertaining
04-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Worthless, but entertaining
Sometimes my research provides me with an unusual fact, such as this -
Confederate Lt. Samuel Boyer Davis was in Canada when The Saint Albans Raiders were on trial, he left Canada to go to Richmond to get papers to prove that the Raiders were on a Military Mission - the papers would save their lives. Unfortunately, he was captured in Ohio, Tried, and condemned to death. However, Lincoln changed the Sentence to Jail time for the duration of the war. (Sarah Slater eventually went on this same trek to Richmond and saved the Raiders.)
Lt.Davis lived through the war and married. He and his wife had 4 children, one of whom was Alonzo Bertrand Davis. When the time came, he married Caroline Calvert Stuart in King George County, VA Daughter of Dr. Richard H. Stuart.
Small world, isn't it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2014, 10:53 PM
RE: Worthless, but entertaining
My "Worthless" Post has gotten me to thinking - HOW DID DAVIS' SON , ALONZO, MEET DR. STUART'S DAUGHTER, CAROLINE? They were not born until 1871 and 1872. Davis' home was in Delaware in 1865. Stuart's was in Virginia. Davis moved to Baltimore in 1890. Stuart stayed put, in K.G.
During the war, Davis made only one trip to Canada, via the Secret Line. On his return, he was captured in Ohio, and spent the rest of the war in Prison.
(Davis may have been Stuart's Spymaster, in Richmond.)
The children reached marrying age about 1890. Their daughter was born 1902.
I can only guess that Alonzo pulled an "Oldroyd Walk" and traveled the route his Father had followed in 1865 and met Caroline.
Anyone have thoughts about ex-spies having reunions, or some such, so that they could renew old friendships? This might be something worth researching.
05-02-2014, 10:10 AM
I don't think there is ever such a thing as an "ex-spy". I think, John, the idea of these old agents getting together is very likely. I was always intrigued that Thomas Harbin would end up as the front desk clerk at the National Hotel. Was he put there? Was there still some network still at least semi-active, maybe in some unofficial capacity.
05-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Jim. There is a parallel to this story in Smoot's story about the Hidden Boat. He received only a portion of the "Sale Price" when he turned the boat over to the Abduction gang. However, long after the Assassination, Trial, and executions - he got the rest of the money owed. Someone paid a debt could have gotten them arrested, but they were honor bound to pay the just debt.