Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary
04-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary
I've been thinking about how today is Lincoln's assassination day- 149 years ago tonight at 10:15! Yes, it certainly is a day to be thinking about JWB, Lewis Powell, Davey Herold, and George Atzerodt. I've been remembering what Booth, his conspirators, and Lincoln spent their time doing on this particular day in history. I started this morning at 7 a.m. when Lincoln awoke, all the way through until 2 p.m. when Booth stopped by Mary Surratt's DC boarding house on H street to deliver his field glasses wrapped in brown paper. Can't help thinking how nosy Louis Weichmann was throughout the conspiracy; Weichmann puzzles me quite a bit. Even though I realize American Brutus states that Weichmann would have been the last person Booth would have trusted in his inner circle, I still have my suspicion about him. Lately I keep asking myself, "If Edwin Stanton was involved in the plot, then could it have been Weichmann who brought him to Booth's conspiracy?" Could Weichmann have been the middle-man between Stanton and Booth? I'm not exactly certain if this has any possibility to it at all, but I understand Weichmann worked at the War Department.
Anyway, today got me to thinking about some questions I've had and have been unable to find the answers. Does anyone know: Why Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln book claims Booth wore tan boots on this date? His boot on display at Ford's Theatre is black? Also wondering why O'Reilly would say Mr. Powell was "mentally impaired" from a mule kick to the head? As I understand, Powell was not kicked in the head, but in the jaw during his childhood. From what I read, Mr. Powell seemed to be clever and a rather good at fooling the authorities.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2014, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 08:33 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Assassination Day- 149 year anniversary
I don't put much creditability in Mr. O'Reilly's research.....sorry! There are a lot of glaring historical errors in his work.

Powell was not "simple minded", but rather clever. Dr. Gillette stated that he was somewhat educated and of "cultivated mind." The mule kick at age twelve was to young Powell's lower left jaw.

As far as we know, JWB did not wear tan pants - his trousers were of a black material..... Davey Herold wore a corduroy suit.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
04-14-2014, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2014 09:06 PM by Gene C.)
O'Reilly did more "repeat" than "research"
Still he rekindled a lot of interest in Lincoln, so I'll give him credit for that. And it was interesting and easy to read.

Idea
There are several different threads about his book, just use the "search" at the top of the page and then type in "Killing Lincoln"

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-14-2014, 09:33 PM
I think all of us at this Forum were probably mindful of this day. Years ago I used to do a presentation that was in sync with the final hour of the shooting. Today I discussed the "core beliefs" that Booth might have had that fueled his actions as an example to my patients of their power.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2014, 10:45 PM
It's also the death anniversary of Franklin Delano Roosevelt who was struck by a cerebral hemorrhage April 14, 1945...exactly 80 years to the day of the Lincoln assassination. And of course it's the eve of the dreaded tax day!

Very depressing all in all.