Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
04-12-2014, 12:25 PM
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
IMO, assassination was ALWAYS Plan B in Booth's mind. He certainly hinted at it during the meeting at Gautier's (and got Sam Arnold very upset). Since I am one who thinks that the Confederate hierarchy (likely Benjamin) were calling the shots from Richmond, I think that the fall of Richmond left Booth cut off from his chain of command and the proverbial loose cannon. At that point, his "pump was primed."

As for what ignited the ticking time bomb for final action, I would definitely agree that the speech at the White House on April 11 - and probably his experience of seeing shackled Confederate soldiers herded through the streets of D.C. - were the sparks that set the fire.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2014 01:17 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
Laurie, you are amazing. I forgot all about the pow-wow at Gautier's, the Confederate POW's. Also at least one historian has stated that Booth had been drinking heavily and steadily since the Fall of Richmond.

All of the above, combined with the April 11th WH speech, would have sent him right over the edge.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply