S.O.S. on source
03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
S.O.S. on source
Does anyone know the original source of the "That will be the last speech he will ever make" quote from JWB? And exactly what the original quote was?
I don't have a hard copy of the Andrew Johnson impeachment record, but I've searched the records online at archive.org and can't find it anywhere.
Emerson Reck says it's on page 674, but none of the copies on Archives.org has a page 674.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2014, 12:39 PM
RE: S.O.S. on source
Kauffman uses the quote in American Brutus, but his source notes merely say that Frederick Stone later told George Alfred Townsend that Herold was with Booth the night of April 11. Kauffman also cites John Clampitt as having Powell with Booth. One would have to conclude that the quote went down in history thanks to Herold and/or Powell -- or unfortunately, through the literary license that George Alfred Townsend may have taken when he later included it in Katy of Catoctin.
03-26-2014, 12:53 PM
(03-26-2014 11:38 AM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  Does anyone know the original source of the "That will be the last speech he will ever make" quote from JWB? And exactly what the original quote was?
I don't have a hard copy of the Andrew Johnson impeachment record, but I've searched the records online at archive.org and can't find it anywhere.
Emerson Reck says it's on page 674, but none of the copies on Archives.org has a page 674.

You can find it on pg. 674 here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=GCjuAAA...&q&f=false
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-26-2014, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2014 01:32 PM by BettyO.)
Found it, Kathryn; Susan is right -

Here it is on pp 673-675 re: "The Last Speech" - it's in the Official Trial Testimony of the Impeachment Investigation.

(Click to enlarge) -

Hope this helps....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
03-26-2014, 01:41 PM
(03-26-2014 11:38 AM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  Does anyone know the original source of the "That will be the last speech he will ever make" quote from JWB? And exactly what the original quote was?

From George Alfred Townsend article in the Cincinnati Enquirer, April 21, 1892:

It would be impossible to tell, even if the assassin knew himself, just when this almost absurd scheme of the kidnapping resolved itself into a determination to murder. Judge Frederick Stone, who was of counsel for Herold and Mrs. Surratt, thinks that Herold said the fixed determination to kill Mr. Lincoln was made when the President addressed a concourse of people at the White House upon the evening of April 11, three days before the murder.

Herold said that he attended with Booth at the illuminated White House grounds, and the President went on to define the difficulties of his position. He intimated that if the Confederates were all to be brought back into the suffrage, it would seem like poor justice to leave the colored people unrepresented and all their rights at the white man’s mercy. Herold told Judge Stone that Booth turned around at this and said: “Now, by God! I’ll put him through.”

Full article at http://www.samuelmudd.com/4211892-cincin...mudd1.html